The family has its origin in Ollur popularly known as "Chinna Roma or Little Rome" because of its majority of Christian population. For centuries, the members of
this family have been living in the vicinity of the renowned St. Antony's Forane church and pilgrim centre. Many stories of pride and glory lie hidden in the golden
casket of our family history. Our ancestors have handed down lessons of Christian virtues and strong spirituality to successive generations.
Turning over the pages of history we find 1675 stands out as a remarkable year. It was in this year that the founding father of our family Mr. Pyloth migrated from
Kattur with his wife and only son Varu and set up his home at Ollur with the tharavad name "Eluvathingal" and family name "Kattukkaran". Thus the family got its name" Eluvathingal Kattukkaran". Searching for the roots of the family, we find that Mr.Pyloth belonged to one of the many families who got converted into Christianity from a Nambudiri illom called Elpathingal in Pazhayur or Pazhuvil in Thrissur District.
Mr. Pyloth was the second among the four brothers of his family and was a business man who bought silk and other textile goods from Malabar and sold to rich people. He came to Ollur considering his convenience for business. The site he chose for his house was on a higher plot leading to the ferry which facilitated his business tours. It has to be remembered, that at that time they resided in a house opposite to our present Sacred Heart of Jesus statue installed by the Kattukkaran family. Thus the first seed of a great aristocratic family fell in the Ollur soil.
When Mr. Pyloth passed away in 1708 his son Varu was only 30 years old. Varu's children were Pyloth, Porinchu, Anthony and Kuria. In 1749 Varu died and was buried in Ollur Chruch. Varu's son Pyloth's Successors were known as "Marathakara Kattukkaran", Porinchu's successors were known as "Mukkysthan Kattukkaran", Anthony's successors were known as "Ollur Kattukkaran" and Kuria had only two daughters. Ollur Kattukkaran family are now residing in Ollur, Mattom, Thrissur and Manalur.
In 1928 Eluvathingal Kattukkaran Kudumbayogam was constituted at the suggestion of Rev. Sr. Christina C.M.C. It was decided to conduct the Kudumabayogam on the coming Sunday after St. Raphael's feast at St. Antony's Forane church Ollur.
Mr. Kuria Devassy donated a portion of his land in front of our founding father's residence and installed Sacred Heart of Jesus's statue on an enclosed wooden structure. On 28th October 1928 this statue was consecrated by Rev. Fr. Maliyakal Koonan Ouseph in the presence of all family members living in and outside Ollur. When the wooden shelter of the statue was damaged in the storm of 1940, it was replaced by a concrete one.
Subsequently in the year 2003 a plot was purchased and a hall was built by the name "Kingship Square Hall" in 2008. The Kudumbyogam which we started since 1928 has been held regularly every year till date on the Sunday after the feast of St. Raphael at Ollur church. On this day the celebration starts with the Holy Mass at the Parish church and afterwards the family members assembled in front of the "Sacred Heart of Jesus" statue for the consecration ceremony. Thereafter the General Body meeting was held at the Kingship Square hall, followed by lunch, either sponsored or subscribed.
The Silver Jubilee of the consecration was performed by Dr. George Alappat the then Bishop of Thrissur on 26th October 1952, The Golden Jubilee was celebrated by Dr. Clement Thottungal the Bishop of Sagar on 30th October 1977 and the Platinum Jubilee was celebrated by the Ernakulam Auxiliary Bishop Rev. Sebastin Edayantharath on 27th October 2002.
Thanking all the family members for their generous co-operation and paying respectful homage to our fore fathers, this family brief history is submitted for publishing in Website
For Website committee
Prof. C. J. Andrews